The holidays are often a whirlwind of activity and emotion involving a busy schedule of shopping, school programs and get-togethers with friends and family. If you experience an emotional disappointment when the holidays pass, there are many things you can do to lift your mood and make it through the emotional let-down after the holidays.
- Take advantage of the extra time you now have for yourself. Since the holiday rush is over, you have some time to reflect. Ask yourself -What do you like about your life? What would you like to change?
- Think about small goals you’d like to accomplish. Do you want to finally get that hall closet cleaned out? Maybe you can now complete that special project your child wanted to do with him.you to do. It’s a good time to make a list of all those little tasks you want to get done. Having the list will help you concentrate on your goals and organize your brain. Plus, it’s wonderful to draw a line through an achieved goal.
- Focus on you for a change. Now is the time to get clarity on personal desires and goals. Perhaps you want to exercise more or spend more quality time with your children. Think about how you are going to make the changes seek. Remember, it’s the little steps that move you toward your big goals.
- Pursue an interest. We’ve all got those interests we hope to “get to” someday. Since you’ve got some down time now, why not go for it? Delve in to that subject you’ve been curious about or start the cooking class you’ve longed to take. If you’re not sure what you’re interested in, do some research. Visit your local library, browse some magazines or look in the newspaper. You’ll most likely find a couple of topics or activities you’d like to learn more about.
- Have a vision board dinner party/potluck. You’ll have plenty of time to plan and prepare for this event with people you really care about. You’ll enjoy yourself and your mood will lift.
- Renew and refresh your surroundings. Do you feel like re-arranging the furniture in a room or two? Re-decorating your surroundings is a wonderful way to go in to a new year and banish the holiday blues at the same time.
- Re-connect with an old friend. There’s something refreshing about making that call you’ve wanted to make. Hearing your friend’s voice again will bring great joy to your heart. It might be a friend from the old neighborhood, a former college roommate or a past co-worker you were once great friends with.
If you’re feeling down now that the holidays are behind you, you’ll be amazed at how quickly you’ll begin to rise above those post-holiday blues when you try some of these strategies.
Taking some quality time for yourself during this period can lighten your mood immensely and ignite your excitement about the year ahead.
Need to talk? Schedule a FREE consultation.